Bad breath is sometimes the result of a symptom of an underlying illness. Bad breath, often called halitosis, is caused by unpleasant odors coming from your mouth. The smell is often caused by bacterial buildup within your mouth, but can also be the result of something worse. Listed below are a few things you should know about halitosis to help you understand what may be the cause of yours:
– Respiratory tract infections and kidney and liver disorders can cause bad breath.
– One of the finest treatments for bad breath is mouthwash, as it can help wash away harmful bacteria and food residue that are the cause of many bad breath issues.
– Bad breath is most often caused when your brushing and flossing habits are neglected.
– Gum disease also referred to as periodontal disease, can cause bad breath.
– Avoid dangerous habits that can contribute to bad breath, such as smoking or chewing tobacco.
– Medications that yield dry mouth as a symptom can cause bad breath.
– Bad oral hygiene can cause halitosis, specifically the buildup of plaque in your mouth.
To learn more about bad breath, or to schedule an appointment with your dentist at Lighthouse Dental & Orthodontics, call our dental office in Riverton, Utah at 801-871-3499. Dr. Samuel Richey and our entire team want to ensure your oral health is stunning for years to come.